Today, I thought that it would be a good idea to explore what the church teaches on confirmation. Fitting, since my cousins are being confirmed this weekend and me a confirmation sponsor.
The paragraphs that I will be referencing can be found in Part 2, Section 2, Chapter 1, Article 2 of the Catechism.
First and for most is the introductory paragraph (1285) which is very important. It basically answers the question what is Confirmation. Notice, however, it never mentions a coming of age, or any such notion as many people describe it. It is described as a completion of baptismal grace, strengthening of the Holy Spirit, and becoming obliged to spread and defend the faith by word and deed. Wow, if I had known that, I don't think I would have thought that I was ready for Confirmation. A quote that I find interesting from the same paragraph says: "It must be explained to the faithful that the reception of the sacrament of Confirmation is necessary for the completion of baptismal grace." The teaching of the Church tells us that the faithful must be told about the necessity. Who and where else would be better to tell the masses of the faithful, but the priest in Mass? Priests should try to add into their preaching more about sacraments than they do.
Finally, in para. 1289 it gives the first definition everyone thinks of for confirmation: "the term Confirmation suggests that this sacrament both confirms baptism and strengthens baptismal grace." I usually thought this was a cop-out definition, and teachers in grade school usually wouldn't let us use it, but it is stated right in the catechism. If you look at this line, it is definitely a 1-line brief decription of para. 1285.
In 1290-1291, we get a historical overview of confirmation and here is where all the confusion stands as to when is the proper time to confirm. Confirmation and baptism were originally performed at the same ceremony by the priest and bishop. The priest would baptize with water, and anoint with oil the baptism. Immediately Following the baptism the bishop would lay his hands and anoint with oil and confirm the baptism. However, the 2 became distinctly separate when the bishop could no longer attend ALL of the baptisms.
The sacred chrism is used in Confirmation. This chrism is a perfumed oil with a pleasant smell. In para. 1294, the spiritual sealing of the anointing is described "..so that their lives may give off 'the aroma of Christ.'" I think it is interesting that we are called to give off the aroma of Christ, which corresponds to the sense of smell. It doesn't mention here anything about others seeing Christ in us, or hearing Christ in us, which is mentioned in other areas, but smelling Christ. To me, smelling is a memory sense. Smells are associated with memories more than other senses. The smells of derby pie, warming sweet tea, rising rolls, all bring different memories of family houses. Who can forget the smell of freshly smushed pole cat? The aroma of Christ means that we shouldn't just be Christ for others, but try to make an unforgettable mark of Christ on someone's mind.
Para. 1299-1301 explains the 4 actions during confirmation. First, the extending of hands signifies the gift of the Spirit and is when the invokes the outpouring of the Spirit. The sacrament is actually conferred through the anointing which is done with the laying on of hands and the words "Accipe signaculum doni Spiritus Sancti" (Be sealed with the Gift of the Holy Spirit). And finally, the sign of peace.
The most important paragraph is 1303. Here it explains the effects of Confirmation, not only is it an explanation, but a list. Here are the elements of how Confirmation effects (or should, if we are taught correctly):
- Roots us more deeply in the divine filiation (child of God)
- Unites us more firmly to Christ
- Increases the gifts of the Holy Spirit in us
- Renders our bond with the Church more perfect
- Gives us a special strength of the Holy Spirit to spread and defend the faith by word and action as true witnesses of Christ, to confess the name of Christ boldly, and never to be ashamed of the Cross
The one thing I would make sure is in the process of receiving Confirmation is described in 1310. "One should receive the sacrament of Penance in order to be cleansed for the gift of the Holy Spirit." I think it is important for confirmands to be required to go to confession at least once during the process of Confirmation, whether it is on a retreat or they go on their own one Saturday.
The one disappointment I found was there is only a 2 sentence paragraph, 1311, to describe the sponsor.
Well, That was a little bit longer than I had hoped, but I wanted to go over the section on Confirmation. Hopefully, I can do something once a week and keep Theology Thursday as a consistent part of my blog.
Paix du Christ!
1 comment:
Wow the stuff I never learend in CCD could fill libraries! Keep up the good work!
Post a Comment