Friday, November 18, 2005

Catholic Hate Crime

About a month and a half ago (first weekend in October) there was a local story that didn't get much press (even in this area it was just a short spot). I tried to find it in the Decatur Daily, but those issues aren't displaying on their site right now, but I did find a Huntsville Times article. There are quite a few stories listed on the WAFF (NBC affiliate) site, most of them are text and not video. The basic story is four people went to Annunciation of the Lord Catholic Church, one of them claiming he had a vision from God of destroying a church. They show up at 1100 Mass on Sunday Oct. 2 and after communion 2 of them run up on the altar yelling and screaming about worshipping idols and then push over a 100 yr old marble altar which shatters as it falls down the steps towards the congregation. Some parishioners detained (pretty calmly too) the 4 vandals until the police arrived. They were originally charged with criminal misdemeanors the 2 accomplices were released on $750 bonds. But the 2 vandals were held and eventually indicted with a hate crime and jailed with $10,000 bonds. Now, I don't know if this has anything to do with their target selection, but oddly enough this story was in the Decatur Daily newspaper only the day before (Oct. 1). Immediately following, believers (Catholic and non-Catholics alike) sent in editorial letters, most of the people claiming Roman Catholic affiliation aren't calling for vengeance or harsh punishments.

The reason I am just bringing up this story is that something very shocking happened yesterday. Here's the story that was reported by WAFF. It really shows the insensitivity. A group from California heard the story and sent the bail money for both to be let out. The great quote of the interview: "We heard about this story in California, we think its absolutely absurd that these two kids have been accused and put on $10,000 bond for knocking over a table."

First off, They didn't "knock over a table" they destroyed an expensive, irreplaceable 100 year old marble table. Secondly, they disrupted a worship service and struck fear into the people there as they saw the table coming at them. They are vandals and terrorists. They didn't suicide bomb a building, but I'm sure it was terrifying for the people there as they weren't sure if the altar (or pieces) would hit them, or what was next.

I don't like the term "hate crime," because in my opinion if a crime is not induced by a psychological imbalance it is committed out of hate or rage. But, I do think these criminals need some extended time to think about what being Christian really means.

If they understood the Catholic faith (don't have to believe in it), or even listened during the prayers, they would understand that we don't worship the table, but Jesus in the Eucharist. However, I'm sort of glad they don't fully understand Catholicism or they might have gone for the tabernacle instead and really desecrated the church and totally have Catholics up in arms.

We all just need to make an effort to understand others in order to tolerate them. In the famous words, why can't we all just get along?

Paix du Christ!

1 comment:

Fidei Defensor said...

Thanks for the update on this story! Also, you have indeed been tagged! Thanks for the plugs, I just added you to my links.