Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Praying for babies

This week, as everyone probably knows by now, Alito is on the hot seat in a bid for the US Supreme Court. The biggest issue in the Senate's eyes is trying to find out where he stand on abortion. I decided this week that I would pray the rosary each night that the outcome would further the cause of restricting abortions. Last night was kinda hairy, it was late and I dozed off a couple of times, but I think I got the whole thing in ^_- I'm not praying that Alito be confirmed, or that he not be confirmed. Honestly, I'm not sure what would be better, because I don't know him. I'm just asking God to make that decision, and that hopefully someone who would rule sympathetic to the pro-life cause will be chosen.

Yesterday was a little uneasy. When asked about a position he took in 1985 he stated that those were his views then and if confronted today he would keep an open mind. He didn't state what his views are today, but he didn't deny those views. He also said that he'd keep an open mind, which I figure is his part of the minuet in trying to say the least possible to be confirmed.

I doubt we will be able to rid our culture of death of abortion anytime soon, especially in one fell swoop. I do believe that the best battle plan is to chip away at abortion as Alito has stated before. The issues that I would put at the front lines are partial birth abortion, and parental permission such as the recent Proposition 73 in CA this past year. I believe if we have to win this war by smaller issues, these are the easiest to win. I'm also for every state having laws saying that killing a pregnant woman brings two murder convictions and not just one. Kind of taking an issue from the movie "I, Robot" and flipping it around. In "I, Robot," by law a murder is one human killing another and if a robot is the killer then there is no murder. Once the state defines killing the unborn child as a murder, then that defines the child as a human being. How can we allow the selective killing of human beings to continue. God will win this battle for life over death, we must be patient and continue to pray. I will leave you with a quote from the AMA back in 1871 that I found from Paul over at Thoughts of a Regular Guy.
Resolved, That we repudiate and denounce the conduct of abortionists, and that we hold no intercourse with them professionally or otherwise and that we will, whenever an opportunity presents, guard and protect the public against the machinations of these characters by pointing out the physical and moral ruin which follows in their wake.
Paix du Christ!

4 comments:

Fidei Defensor said...

It is to bad that Alito has to hide his pro-life backround, its people like Senator Kennedy who should be ashamed of their views on abortion.

I think Alito and Roberts both have to do the same song and dance on abortion to get confirmed but once this guy is on I see him voting with the likes of devout Catholics Thomas and Scalia not the likes of Gingsburg and Breyer. Keep praying!

Sean M. said...

I agree with you Fidei, that they're just playing the game and probably will be the people we expect them to be.

As we learned in Wed. questioning, one of the Sen. that was grilling Alito on abortion used to be pro-life in his vote and has since changed the other way. (Honestly, I don't see how any one who views a fetus as a human can conciously change to pro-abortion) You just so never know. God does, and I leave it in his hands to decide what's really best.

Sir Galen of Bristol said...

Correction: that should be 1871, not 1971. Thanks for the link!

Sean M. said...

Oops, thanks Paul for catching that. Guess I got finger-tied. I'll fix that.