WOW! What a great weekend! As I stated, I went on a retreat this past weekend in the Archdiocese of Atlanta. The TEC retreat is originally a "Teens Encounter Christ" retreat (No, you're right, I'm not a teen); however, Atlanta and a few other places across the country have adapted it for young adults to stand for "To Encounter Christ." TEC apparently has been around for 41 years, and has branched out to a total of 4 movements; also including "Troops Encounter Christ" and REC - "Residents Encounter Christ" (apparently for inmates).
Now, I'm supposing that all of the afforementioned retreats are basically the same. I understand there are probably differences, but my experience is solely with the young adult version, of course. I'll share some of my experiences, but don't expect a schedule or detail of events. I prefer not to ruin retreat experiences for others.
The basic overview of the retreat is the Paschal Mystery, which makes it a woderful retreat, for the most part, for Palm Sunday as a reflection to open Holy Week. The retreat takes place over 3 days and each day has it's own theme. "Die Day" is the first day that goes over self-sacrifice in our lives that are an outward sign of love, just as Christ showed on the cross at the beginning of His Paschal Mystery. "Rise Day" is the second day where you come to realize that you really are commited to Christ, just as He rose from His death on Easter Sunday. The last day is "Go Day" where you get to be one with the community and go forth with Christ in the Holy Spirit into the world, just as His apostles did on the first pentecost. The only reservations I had with the retreat being on Palm Sunday is the alleluia songs that came mostly on this last day including prior to the Gospel reading during the closing Mass. So, I didn't sing any of the songs with alleluia in them, problem solved ^_^
The weekend was VERY long, busy, and physically draining (our retreat was 3 days, Fri. 11:00 to Sun. 17:00 and beside eating breaks, 15 min bathroom break, and if you stayed up late at night, the only substantial break was for 3/2 hours). But very, very good. It is by far the best retreat I have been on or probably led since I've been in High School. If anyone knows someone trying to discern if they should go on a TEC retreat, don't suggest them to go ... MAKE them go. There's a few similarities to the Chrisian Awakening retreat experience, one of them is the similarity to the "4th Day"and "Go Day," others you may be able to figure out (especially if you go ^_- ), but like I said, I'm not going into lots of details. However, the best part was all the sacrements. All of the sacrements that most Catholics have experienced that this point in their life is represented (Reconcilliation, Baptism, Confirmation, and Eucharist), either by participating in the sacrament or renewing vows and being blessed with water and anoited with oil. Still there is something more amazing than the sacrements, taking to the lord. That's right adoration. When I applied, I was hoping there would be reconcilliation as there were (woohoo not anymore ^_^ ) somethings I was finally ready to get off my chest and I was hoping to get an opportunity before Easter. On the way out, I thought it would be cool if there was adoration. I even thought about asking the priest before Sundy Mass if he could just consecrate some extra Jesus so I could have my own prayer time if there wasn't. Well, needless to say, I didn't have to wory about it. There is adoration upon adoration at the retreat.
Paix du Christ!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment